Napoleon Area City Schools Transportation Department
700 Westmoreland Ave.
Napoleon, OH 43545
Phone: 419.592.2403 Fax: 419.599.1005
- School District Size - 131 Sq. Miles
- Number of Buses ran daily - 22
- Bus Fleet Size - 28
- Average Daily Miles - 1,172
GENERAL INFORMATION FOR BUS RIDERS:
As parents, you are an important part of the total safety awareness for students who travel to and from school on our buses. Students benefit from learning to become safe pedestrians and passengers.
Here's how you can help maintain safe bus stop procedures:
- Go with your children to the bus stop.
- Tell your children to walk in groups, if possible.
- A parent/guardian or a trusted adult must be present at the bus stop for students in Preschool and Kindergarten. If no parent/guardian is present, the student will be brought back to the bus garage/school where you will have to come and pick them up. Waiver forms are available by contacting the Transportation Department.
- Regardless of weather conditions, students must be standing at their designated stop 5 minutes prior to the bus's scheduled arrival.
- If anything is dropped during loading or unloading of the bus, children should tell the bus driver. Never attempt to retrieve the item themselves.
- When your child has to cross the street to get on or off the bus, the driver will advise your child when it is safe to cross in front of the bus. Your child is taught the first day of school to watch for the driver to lower their hand. This is the "safe signal" to know it is safe to cross in front of the bus. PLEASE NEVER ADVISE YOUR CHILD TO RUN ACROSS THE STREET. YOUR CHILD MUST ALWAYS WATCH THE DRIVER FOR THE SAFE SIGNAL TO CROSS.
- All students in grades K-12 are eligible for bus transportation that live 1 mile or more from the building they attend.
- Students are only allowed 1 place in the morning for pick up and 1 place in the afternoon for drop off. Parents asking for additional stops due to shared parenting MUST contact the Transportation Department to make this request.
- If you are requesting a change in your child's transportation, the CUSTODIAL parent/guardian needs to update all information in FINAL FORMS and contact the Transportation Department. All changes will take at least two (2) business days to be completed.
- Students are only allowed to ride buses they are assigned to. Permission for a classmate/friend to go home with your student will not be allowed unless they are already riding the same bus.
- If your child normally rides the bus home at the end of the school day, but you intend to pick them up, you MUST contact the school office prior to 2:00 PM to let them know. It is unsafe for students to try and get off the bus while other students are loading.
- For students attending the Four County Career Center, we do provide round trip bus transportation from Napoleon Jr/Sr High School. For days that the Career Center is in session, and Napoleon Public is not, students must catch the bus at the Jr/Sr High School. Our buses leave promptly at 8:10 AM and will not wait for any student running late. The buses will return at approximately 3:15 PM in the afternoon.
Riding the School Bus is a privilege and those privileges can be taken away for student who fail to follow the bus rules. Please read the Transportation Handbook with your children to make sure they understand the bus rules.
- We will provide transportation for students attending St. Paul Lutheran School, St. Augustine Catholic School and St. John Lutheran School that live inside the Napoleon Area City School District.
- Request for transportation to one of the Parochial Schools is required every year and this request must be made by the CUSTODIAL parent/guardian.
- Requesting transportation prior to the start of the school year, please fill out the Transportation Request Form. It is very important to have this form submitted by August 1st of every year. Failure to do so may result in your student not having transportation the first day of school.
- Any requests for transportation, or changes in transportation, made after August 1st, you MUST contact the Transportation Department.
- Any new requests, or change requests, made after the start of the school year will take a minimum of two (2) business days to be completed.